15 March 2013

EASTER CHICKS AND DUCKS

I have been having a lot of fun working on Easter basket goodies for the grands.   I was checking out some of my favourite supply sites for inspiration, saw these paper mache  eggs with the "cracked" opening at Retro Cafe Art and fell in love!



These begged for an all over crackle finish. I used LuminArte Silks in various colours as the base, "Weathered Wood" from Americana as my crackle medium and Americana Light Buttermilk craft paint as the top coat.  I have had the most success with this crackle medium on a variety of projects.   Lesson learned; I painted all the eggs with gesso before applying the Silks, didn't need to and the outcome was more successful without the gesso base.

I used a variety of brands of glitter from my stash to highlight the openings, I preferred the look of a coarser glitter over micro or ultrafine for this project.  I used Krylon's Crystal Clear for a protective coating.

The chenille "poultry" on nests came from 32 Degrees North.   The service and products from both Retro Cafe Art and 32 Degrees North are excellent, do check them out.


There is something so sweet about baby ducks, one of these are destined for each of our two youngest  grands.  The paper mache forms came from Michael's.  I used Americana yellow craft paint, large flake mica glitter from Martha Stewart, a chipboard scalloped circle from Bazzil, green microfine glitter from GlitterRitz, Divine Twine and German spun cotton mushrooms from Retro Cafe Art.


5 comments:

  1. wow, cute Easter art, just love what you are making! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandi, those cracked eggs remind me so much of the sugar eggs my mom used to make when I was a kid. Did you ever have those? Basically the entire egg was made of sugar, with an open area on the front, and decorated, then she put coconut grass insde with little easter scenes (chicks, bunnies, lambs, etc.)I remember thinking she was so talented and these are no different. You're just as talented!
    ~Deb~
    A Look Through My Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they turned out soooo cute! Love the crackling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous Easter projects, as only you can do them, Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much detail in these Easter creations! Love those little eggs! Adorable! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments! Thank you so much!

Photobucket